Central repository for HSC resources relating to fluid management in children & young people
This site has been developed to act as a central resource for HSC Trusts and relevant staff in relation to fluid management in children and young people (Child from birth (term) up to 16th Birthday). This includes links to key background documents and resources as listed below.
Other useful links (such as adult charts and resources; links to other useful guidance) are also included separately to the right of this page or by clicking here.
Updates under development 2018
NPSA Patient Safety Alert 22
National Patient Safety Agency (2007) Patient Safety Alert 22: Reducing the risk of hyponatraemia when administering intravenous infusions to children. Documents are available by clicking here.
In April 2008 and May 2010 the RQIA reported on the implementation of recommended actions outlined within NPSA Alert 22 throughout HSC Trusts and independent hospitals in Northern Ireland.
- Reducing the risk of hyponatraemia when administering intravenous infusions to children, April 2008 [Summary report following Validation Visits to Trusts and Independent Hospitals throughout Northern Ireland]
- Reducing the risk of hyponatraemia when administering intravenous infusions to children, May 2010 [Report of actions taken by HSC Trusts and independent hospitals to implement recommendations made in the report "Reducing the risk of hyponatraemia when administering intravenous fluids to children" (RQIA, June 2008)
2014 Gain audit to ascertain the safety of the prescribing, administering, recording and maintaining of intravenous (iv) fluids to children over 4 weeks and under 16 years.
- Audit of Parenteral Fluid Therapy for Children and Young Persons (aged over 4 weeks & under 16 years) Volume 1
- Audit of Parenteral Fluid Therapy for Children and Young Persons (aged over 4 weeks & under 16 years) Volume 2
- Intravenous fluid therapy in children and young people in hospital NICE guideline (NG29) Published date: December 2015
- Circular HSC (SQSD) (NICE ~ Intravenous fluid therapy in children and young people in hospital - 30.06.17.pdf
- HSS (MD) 16 2017 – Departmental Endorsement of NICE NG29 – INTRAVENOUS FLUID THERAPY FOR CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE IN HOSPITAL & REVISED RESOURCES FOR THE PRESCRIPTION AND MONITORING OF IV FLUIDS IN CHILDREN & YOUNG PEOPLE.pdf
- HSC (SQSD) (NICE Clinical Guideline NG29 – INTRAVENOUS FLUID THERAPY FOR CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE IN HOSPITAL 24/17 issued 20 June 2017[JC1] hsc-sqsd-nice-ng29-24-17.pdf
Charts & Resources Term Babies, Children & Young People
- DOH Wall Chart – Updated February 2017 - PARENTERAL FLUID THERAPY FOR TERM NEONATES (UP TO 4 WEEKS OF AGE) BEING NURSED IN AN ACUTE SETTING.pdf
- DoH Wall Chart - Updated February 2017- PARENTERAL FLUID THERAPY FOR CHILDREN & YOUNG PEOPLE (AGED OVER 4 WEEKS & UNDER 16 YEARS).pdf
Daily Fluid Balance and Prescription Chart and training package issued by DoH September 2017 [HSS(MD) 16/2017]:
- Daily Fluid Balance and Prescription Chart (Child from birth (term) up to 16th Birthday) – February 2017..pdf
- Guidance - How to prescribe intravenous medicine infusions Updated June 2018 - Guidance notes on the administration of intravenous medicines on the kardex 080618.pdf
The Gain 2014 report recommended that an audit tool be developed to facilitate Trusts in the ongoing monitoring of pediatric IV fluid management:
Competency Framework (Currently under review May 2018)
This framework was jointly developed by HSC Trusts and the PHA, in consultation with stakeholders, to support consistency of approach in the implementation of RQIA recommendations.
- Cover letter - reissue of hyponatraemia framework version 2nd February 2015.pdf
- Hyponatraemia Competency Framework Issued February 2015.pdf
Training Resources (Currently under review May 2018)
- Case Studies (currently being updated - available end August 2018)
Five clinical management case studies (2 medical,2 surgical and 1 neonatal) are provided which integrate the regional paediatric fluid balance chart:
Online Assessment on Paediatric Fluid Balance & Prescription Charts (currently being updated – available end July 2018)
- All Trusts may access the case studies via the HSC e-Learning site at - http://www.hsclearning.com