Primary care nursing
Primary Care Nursing
The PHA Nursing team provides professional nursing advice and guidance to primary care services by contributing to the corporate nursing and midwifery objectives for the PHA, HSCB, GP practices and Federations
General Practice Nurse Foundation Course and Healthcare Assistant Foundation Course
The PHA/HSCB has commissioned a bespoke foundation programme for General Practice Nurses and Health Care Assistants through the Clinical Education Centre. There is no charge to the individual or to the GP practice to attend these sessions. The below flyers contain information on these courses:
The aim of developing this programme is to enhance the knowledge, skills and competencies of General Practice Nurses and Health Care Assistants. This is hopefully the inaugural programme and feedback from attendees will inform the content of future programmes and CPD events.
- Provide strategic direction in relation to practice-employed nurses, considering the impact of proposed developments and in response to identified needs and challenges;
- Provide support, advice and guidance to practice-employed nurses, their employers, Federations and other statutory organisations on all aspects of practice nursing;
- Facilitate learning and development opportunities for all practice-employed nurses to enable sharing of best practice.
- Develop robust regional communication networks with primary care colleagues
- Support learning and development and facilitate appropriate training opportunities;
- Develop clinical and professional standards and guidelines for practice nurses;
- Develop systems and processes to help practice nurses effectively discharge professional and regulatory responsibilities, e.g. revalidation, appraisal and supervision systems;
- Review skill mix and support the safe development of the healthcare assistant (HCA) role and function;
- Ensure health and social wellbeing, health improvement and health protection remain key priorities.