Community and voluntary sector organisations in the Northern area are invited to apply for Public Health Agency (PHA) small grants to tackle drug and alcohol misuse and improve outcomes for local people. The small grants scheme is open until 30 September 2011.
Small grants, up to £10,000, are available for work that tackles drug and alcohol issues across the Northern area, including the impact of parental alcohol and drug misuse on children and young people, often referred to as ‘hidden harm’.
Michael Owen, PHA Health and Social Wellbeing Improvement Manager, said: “The Public Health Agency is committed through this year’s small grants scheme to continue supporting the work of voluntary and community organisations tackling drugs and alcohol issues. The scheme funds work by community and voluntary organisations to improve the health and wellbeing of people in the Northern area, helping them to make healthier choices and delivering a range of programmes that support the Northern drugs and alcohol coordination team local action plan.”
He added: “In previous years this scheme has successfully addressed local drug and alcohol issues, which have included programmes supporting parents, carers and families; early intervention programmes working with young people and educational programmes delivered within the local community. The effects of alcohol and drug misuse and hidden harm reach far beyond the individual concerned, affecting families and communities, so this year’s scheme will particularly welcome applications which will support the most disadvantaged communities in the Northern area.
The PHA particularly welcomes proposals which:
- target the top 20% most disadvantaged Super Output Areas (areas within electoral ward boundaries - with a mean population of around 2000 people) in the PHA’s Northern area;
- demonstrate community involvement; and
- address the actions identified within any of the following:
- PHA Northern area drug and alcohol local action plan 2011/12
- Regional Addressing Young People’s Drinking in Northern Ireland Action Plan
- Regional PHA/HSCB Hidden Harm Action Plan 2010
For further information or application forms/guidance notes which advise those wishing to apply for funding of the relevant criteria and conditions, contact Linda Wylie on 028 2531 1176 or alternatively, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is Friday 30 September 2011 at 4pm.
Notes to the editor
Contact the PHA Press Office, Ormeau Avenue on 028 9031 1611.
- The Public Health Agency takes the lead on the DHSSPS New Strategic Direction for Alcohol and Drugs 2006–2011.
- The Northern drugs and alcohol coordination team small grants scheme is open from 5 – 30 September 2011.
- The Northern area is made up of the following local authorities: Antrim, Ballymena, Ballymoney, Carrickfergus, Coleraine, Cookstown, Larne, Magherafelt, Moyle and Newtownabbey.