- Put your baby in a moses basket or cot in your room for the first six months
- Place your baby to sleep on their back in the ‘feet to foot’ position (feet touching the bottom of the cot)
- Use a light blanket firmly tucked no higher than the baby’s shoulders and a clean, firm, well-fitting mattress
- Don’t sleep with your baby on an armchair or sofa
- Don’t allow your baby to share a bed with anyone who has been smoking, drinking alcohol or taking drugs (including medication)
- Breastfeed if you can and put your baby back to sleep in their cot after feeding.