Information for health professionals
Seasonal changes in the flu virus occur and it is for this reason that annual vaccination against flu is recommended in certain groups who are either at risk of the complications of flu or at risk of passing flu unto people at risk of developing complications.
Every year the Chief Medical Officer in Northern Ireland issues a letter outlining who is eligible to receive the flu vaccine under the seasonal influenza programme.
The Health Protection Team of the Public Health Agency develop materials for healthcare workers delivering the seasonal influenza vaccine programme and this includes training slides, a factsheet about seasonal flu vaccines, leaflets posters and guidelines on infection control and data collection. Links to these are available below:
- Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Programme 2020/21 DH
- Final position statement in relation to COVID flu vaccine clinics
- The Green Book Chapter 19 of The Green Book contains recommendations about flu vaccine storage, administration, use of vaccine, clinical risk groups, contraindications and precautions.
- Factsheet (Influenza Immunisation Programme: Factsheet for Healthcare Professionals)
- Adult and childhood flu vaccination training slides (presentations with speaker notes)
- E-learning for Healthcare (e-LfH) accessible using health & social care email address
- NICE Guidelines on flu vaccination: increasing uptake 2018
- Patient information leaflets and posters (General Public)
Seasonal Flu Plan
Healthcare Worker Campaign Resources for Trusts (in addition to general resources) also include:
- PHA Peer Vaccinator Training Recommendations
- Trust Guidance on Data Collection of Vaccine Uptake in Frontline Health and Social Care Workers
- Information leaflets and posters for healthcare workers
Nursing / Residential Care Home Campaign Resources (in addition to general resources) also include: