Sign up and save lives
The Public Health Agency (PHA) is encouraging people to sign up to the NHS Organ Donation Register this Saturday 22 January in Castle Court shopping centre in Belfast. In Northern Ireland, over 300 people are waiting for organ donation.
The PHA is supporting the appeal by the Transplant Forum and NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBTS) authority for people to join the Organ Donation Register. In the UK, 3,706 transplants were carried out in the year 2009/10, the highest ever number thanks to the kindness of both deceased and living donors.
The national programme of organ donation has encouraging uptake results to date – but only one in four adults in Northern Ireland are registered as potential organ donors.
Across the UK, three people die every day waiting for a suitable organ. As the waiting list for transplants continues to grow, the best way to reduce it is for people across Northern Ireland to sign up to the Organ Donation Register today.
Dr Eddie Rooney, Chief Executive of the PHA and Chair of the Northern Ireland Organ Donation Task Force Implementation Group, said: “I am delighted that 26% of Northern Ireland’s population has registered as donors. However, the good work needs to continue if we are to save those who are still waiting for a suitable organ.”
He added: “I am happy to support the great work that volunteers and transplant coordinators have been doing to encourage sign up. I hope the stand in Castle Court will make people aware of the importance of organ donation and encourage them to register as a donor today.”
Contact the PHA Press Office on 028 9031 1611.
1. The Transplant Forum and NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBTS) authority will have an Organ Donation Register stand on Saturday 22 January in Castle Court shopping centre, Belfast, from 12pm–5pm.
2. For more information on the Northern Ireland Transplant Association, visit www.nitransplant.org
3. You can join the NHS Organ Donor Register by:
- filling in a form online at www.organdonation.nhs.uk or www.walloflife.org.uk
- calling the NHS Donor Line on 0300 123 23 23
- texting SAVE to 84118
You can also join when you are:
- registering for a driving licence
- applying for a Boots Advantage Card
- registering at a GP surgery
- registering for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)